Updated: Sep 27
Mark your Diary - 30th September 2023, Saturday Chatswood Sydney
Now it Sydney's time to paint the city Bluuuuuue! Woohoo.......
Bake it Blue - Sydney will be hosted by a good friend and home caterer @Sweet Rita Nyonya Kueh who has been our partner for a long time. Her amazing kueh-kueh, Jurassic Curry Puffs and she sold out Siew Pao (Baked pork puff) in Laurieton Slice of Heaven in 2018. It was an experience for some locals who came back for more "Siew Pao" as it's their first time tasting it. And we cannot not mention Sweet Rita Nyonya - Kueh's Pulut Tai Tai which Rita has graciously shared her recipe. We also created "Blue Nasi Lemak Cake" and "Fried Nasi Lemak" at various festivals. Happy days........
What would Rita be giving us ?
Her signature Jurassic Puffs (can't be blue curry puffs folks! sorry), Soon Kueh (similar to dumplings but different maybe Blue skin as per photo) maybe her signature Kuching, Sarawak Kolo Mee and Sarawak Laksa but all to be confirmed as she's currently conquering Mt Kinabalu in Sabah. Mount Kinabalu is the tallest mountain in Malaysia. The summit, Low's Peak, sits at 4095.2 meters (13,435 feet) above sea level. We wish her the best.
Saturday, 30 Sept 2023 from 11.30 am - "Bake it Blue - Sydney"
(1) Pandan Cupcakes with natural Blue Icing, Nyonya Kueh, Nasi Kerabu and BLUE COCONUT SHAKEs will be available for sale for CMRI / Jeans for Genes.
Where - Sweet Rita Nyonya Kueh
104 Fullers Road
Date - 30th Sept 2023, Saturday
Time - 11.30am - 2.30pm
Why are we doing this?
To help raise monies, find cures and Jeans in us - by the Children's Medical Research Institute in Sydney and with Jeans for Genes.
** 'Children are like buds in a garden and should be carefully and lovingly nurtured, as they are the future of the nation and the citizens of tomorrow,' said India's first prime minister"
** A second chance for these children to lead a normal life;
** And also to come together and help various small businesses in this time of challenging economy, enjoy some good natural Blue and Green food - Live, Laugh and Love.
What other "Blue foods" do we have at Bake it Blue - Sydney?
These beautiful Pandan Cupcakes with Blue Coconut Buttercream will be donated by May Chong. She's so enthused that she will also offer Pandan Coconut Jelly TBA. Do follow Maykery via her Instagram.
(3) Dapur Senah with Nasi Kerabu and Penang Laksa and Kueh Koci. Hasnah, the owner of Dapur Senah is a lovely lady. So far we've only seen her giving free meals or "bagi Makan gratis" (in Bahasa Malaysia) in respect of Maulidur Rasul (anniversary of Muhammad’s birth).
She would provide 150 plates of free meals. That's the spirit in #givingback. Please do come and support her and us.
(4) Erica Bakes - Young Erica started baking from baby - she has been helping mom, Rita in the kitchen from a toddler. She's self taught cake baker and Erica will donate some of her beautiful bakes at this event. Below are her amazing cakes she made at a young age of 12.
(5) Teh Hooi Hooi a home baker will be donating her famous "Mochi" and she will be making Pandan Mochi with peanut filling. She may attempt to make "Blue Mochi". However, she has made beautiful Dragonfruit Mochi below.
(6) Spring to Coconut Shake with MyBlueTea
Days are warming up and good time for us to churn some BLUE Coconut Shakes.
You can choose to add toppings ie Black Boba, Coconut Jelly or Red bean....... and sprinkle with Coconut chips and Pandan Liquid extract. We may even have Pandan Cendol Coconut Shake maybe Durian, anyone?
Some Coconut Shake recipes on our website and MyBlueTea Official YouTube.
On Children's Medical Research Institute (CMRI) with Jeans for Genes)
How Kalarny's life changed - and how we can help
When Kalarny was born, he couldn’t hold his head up. He couldn’t move. He was fighting just to breathe. He was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), and his parents were told he wouldn’t survive to his first birthday.
Thanks to research he survived, but he needs regular spinal injections and a wheelchair to get around. If he’d been born just a few years later, he could have received gene therapy. Infants treated with just one injection of gene therapy seem to be cured. It’s still in the early days, but signs indicate that they will go on to lead normal, healthy lives. It’s so effective that SMA has been added to newborn screening and the gene therapy treatment is covered by PBS. An incurable disease just a few years ago is now curable. That's nothing short of a miracle. That’s what we want for more kids, and to cure so many of the 6000 genetic diseases out there.
Lastly everyone, thank you for your generosity and coming together.