As Good as Saffron colour but a fraction of the cost!
Safflower is one of humanity’s oldest crops. Used to make red and yellow dye for Ancient Egyptian textiles in the 12th century, safflower was also found in garlands adorning Pharaoh Tutankhamen’s tomb.
Today, the brightly coloured crop is produced in more than 60 countries for the oil which is extracted from its seeds; but safflower has been grown only on small surfaces around the world and remains a minor crop with huge potential. The flowers are yellow, orange or red which is pollinated by honeybees, bumblebees and long tongued bees. It thrives in hot, dry climates and prefers deep, fertile and well-drained soils.
Yum! Safflower Tea
The plant of Safflower resembles a thistle plant besides flowers. It has deep taproots which thrive well in deep and fertile soils. The oil extracted from Safflower is considered as a good substitute for other vegetable oils. The oils have no taste and smell. The oil of Safflower is used as the health supplements. The studies shows that this oil helps to lower bad cholesterol, inflammation, body fat and enhance muscle growth. It enhances the hair and nail health. It is used in the lotions and massage oils. Mostly it is used in cooking oil, cosmetics and salad dressing. It has high content of omega-6 and omega-3 which is helpful for the proper functioning of heart and brain.
(1) Heart Health The oil of Safflower helps to lower the abdominal fat and raise the muscle tissue if used for regular 16 weeks. The oil of Safflower is related with metabolic syndrome which raises the chances of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The oil of Safflower helps to lower the chances of cardiovascular ailments. The oil possesses linoleic acid. The polyunsaturated oils help to prevent the cardiovascular disease.
(2) Treat Diabetes Omega-6 fatty acid helps to manage the level of blood sugar which is helpful for the diabetic patients to maintain the level of blood sugar. It prevents the chances of diabetes.
(3) Obesity It is helpful for those people who want to lose weight. Safflower oil is rich in omega-6 fatty acids that help to burn fat in the body. It is also used by the obesity patients to lose the weight without changing the diet.
(4) Healthy Hair The oil of safflower has high content of oleic acid that is helpful for the hair and scalp. It raises the scalp circulation, enhances hair growth and maintains the follicles health. It helps to maintain the vibrant and shiny hair. It is mostly used in the cosmetics and often consumed as food.
(5) Skin Health Safflower oil contains high amount of linoleic acid that helps to enhance the skin appearance and its quality. Linoleic acid mix with sebum which helps to unclog pores and lower the acne and blackheads caused due to the buildup of sebum under skin. In addition lineolic acid promotes the skin cells regeneration which helps to clear scars as well as blemishes from the skin.
(5 PMS Symptoms Menstruation might become uncomfortable and painful for women. Linoleic acid helps to regulate prostaglandins that lead to hormonal fluctuations during mensuration. The safflower oil reduces the PMS severity and regulates the menstrual cycles without any harmful side effects.
(6) Enhance Immunity Safflower oil regulates the prostaglandins function as it possesses omega-6 fatty acids. It is a hormone that assists the body to have normal function involving the immune system process and protect the body.
(7) Arthritis Copper possess an anti-inflammatory properties that helps to lower the arthritis symptoms. Arthritis patients use the copper bracelets to cure this ailment. The water in which copper is stored overnight should be consumed in the morning which helps to promote the muscular system. It also boost the metabolism to perform the daily functions.
Safflower Tea - There are mentions of safflower going back almost 4,000 years.
(8) Weakness Phosphorus helps to eliminate the health ailments such as numbness, muscle weakness and fatigue. The adequate amount of phosphorus should be present in the body for remaining active and fitness. For adults 1200 mg is enough which is recommended by experts. The adequate intake of phosphorus helps to cure the sexual weakness, frigidity, loss of libido, sperm motility and impotence.
(9) Level of blood sugar Manganese helps to control the sugar level in the human blood. It also prevents the chances of diabetes. It helps to normalize the insulin secretion and synthesis, controls the blood sugar level and unexpected drops in the blood sugar which helps to provide normal life to the diabetic patients.
TRADITIONAL USES :
* Flowers help to lower the chances of coronary heart disease and reduce cholesterol levels. * It is considered as alterative, antibacterial, analgesic, antiphlogistic and haemopoietic. * It is used as a treatment for stomatitis and tumors. * The flowers are considered as anticholesterolemic, emmenagogue, diaphoretic, laxative, sedative, purgative and stimulant. * It cures menstrual pains and also promotes the smooth menstrual flow. * Flowers help to treat infant complaints such as measles, eruptive skin and fever. * It is used externally for skin inflammations, bruising, wounds, and skin inflammation. * The seeds are used to treat rheumatism and inflammatory tumors of liver.
* In Iran, oil helps to cure rheumatism and sprains.
* Safflower firms uterus after childbirth, soothe joint stiffness and treats trauma of abdomen. * It is used to clean the wounds. * The oil of Safflower reduces the level of serum cholesterol which helps to prevent the heart ailments.
* Petals cure the chronic diseases such as coronary heart ailments, hypertension, rheumatism and fertility problems.
* The decoction is used to soak foot twice in a day to alleviate varicose veins, blood stasis patterns, leg and feet numbness, poor blood circulation and bruising. * The blossoms are used in tea that helps to treat phlegm, fevers, panic attacks and hysteria. * It provides relief from skin rashes, arthritis and enhances the function of liver. * Flowers are used in Ayurvedic medicine as an aid for arthritis, scabies and chest pains. * Infusions helps to treat bronchial ailments and coughs.
** Pregnant women should avoid it because Safflower leads to menstruation. ** The patients of hemorrhagic illness and peptic ulcers should not use Safflower. ** Its misuse results to the toxic reactions such as abdominal pain, discomfort, gastrointestinal bleeding, diarrhea, menorrhagia and cramps. ** Safflower could slow the clotting of blood. ** Those who are sensitive might get allergic reactions. ** The oil of Safflower raises the blood sugar which is harmful for the diabetic patients. ** Safflower slows down the blood clotting which could raise the chances of bleeding after and during surgery. ** The people who have scheduled surgery should stop using Safflower before two weeks.
Blue Herbal Tea - our best seller with lemongrass, ginger and with Pandan, of course
The information contained on this site is intended for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice, diagnosis or treatment by a licensed physician. It is not meant to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, circumstances or adverse effects. You should seek prompt medical care for any health issues and consult your doctor before using alternative medicine or making a change to your regimen.
Safflower Swiss Roll - such naturally gorgeous colour - crafted by Catherine Teo, Patisserie Chef
based in Melbourne.