How to make Blue Sugee Cookies - Yummo
Blue Sugee cookies contributed by Lisa, our Royal Blue Seri Muka contributer recipe therein.
It was a challenge to get any information on Sugee cookie and there are some on Sugee cake and here you go.......... Sugee cake is traditionally treated as a festival cake usually served in Kristang families both as a happy occasion cake for Christmas, birthdays and weddings. In fact, it is also a type of cake for the Christmas. Kristang are local Portuguese descendent Eurasians in Singapore and West Malaysia. The popularity of this cake however has extended to other races such as Chinese, Malay and Indian households. Sugee cake, a soft cake made with semolina flour and a high concentration of egg yolks; served in Eurasian, Malay, and Chinese cuisine.” - and we are giving you Blue Sugee Cookies today for a "Blue & Purple Christmas Party"!
Here's the recipe - Enjoy!
250 grams pure ghee, melted and cooled
500 gram plain OR Top flour
2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
170 grams icing sugar
3/4 teaspoon fine salt
80 gram fine semolina or ground almond
3-5 tablesppons water or milk
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder (or vanilla essence if you prefer)
(1) Combine cooled melted pure ghee and vanilla essense in a bowl
(2) Sift flour, bicarbonate soda, icing sugar , blue butterfly powder and salt into the mixing bowl.
(3) Add in the semolina or ground almond and let it rests
(4) Pour pure ghee mixture in flour mixture and knead well to form a firm dough. If you find it too dry add milk or water, a little at a time. Take note that semolina tends to absorb moisture very fast.
(5) Preheat overn to 180 degree Celsius
(6) Roll dough into "melt-in-your-mouth" sized balls and place on greased tray.
(7) Bake for 25-30 minutes till cooked but not brown
(8) These cookies should be light or dark blue (depending on your mood ie the amounts of Blue Butterfly Powder you add) and crumbly in texture.
(9) Let it sit at the baking tray until completely cooled. Handle with care as the cookies are very fragile. Store in an air tight container.
Note - It is advisable that you test bake few cookies before proceeding to shape and bake the remaining dough. If your cookies deform, your dough are too oily and hence you may need to add more flour to salvage the batch. In addition, every oven is different and you may need to adjust the temperature.
Serve with a pot of hot or warm Blue Herbal Tea and enjoy the moment with our 1st Blue & Purple Christmas with My Blue Tea.
Photos courtesy of Lisa Lee Allerton
Pro Tips :
(1) Press whole almonds on the shaped cookie dough before baking to give that bit of crunch
(2) or Brush cookie dough with beaten egg and sprinkle with almond flakes
(3) Add Blue Butterfly Powder to the dough - please do not be over-excited and pour the whole sachet into your mixture as it would be too dark. You would like a lovely blue
(4) Add 20 gram sifted cocoa or instant coffee powder
About Lisa & Appchai
Lisa Lee Allerton creates another blue food!
Appchai mobile app was created to help small and medium size businesses who wish to engage with their customers directly in real-time using their very own mobile app to deliver push notifications; to announce latest promotions, reminders and news. Businesses from all industries can benefit. Appchai makes it affordable and user friendly. Good for restaurants and hospitality industry.
Merry Christmas Folks!