Known as the King of the Fruits - now available in Intense Durian Powder - Musang King!
Hey, I am going to do what many Caucasians or Australians do not have (currently) on their palate - discover and eat Durian and if can't get them or get enough of them in Australia - Intense Durian Powder will suffice. This way, you can create Durian Latte, Durian Ice Cream, Durian Frappe, Durian Smoothies, Durian Cakes, Durian Desserts or maybe even a Spicy Durian Sambal! *wink wink*
I remember reading on one of the "many" FB Groups that I encountered - that in Asia they have this as dinner for kids "eat fresh durian for dinner accompanied with rice and than wolf down with water in the durian husk to avoid *heatiness*!" It's all about the Ying-yang, ya know Yum or Gross!! I say, its YUM!
If you are new to Durian fruits then the very first sight of this fruit could remind you of a porcupine! Credit goes to the spikes present on this henna-green skinned fruit. The flesh, in contrast, is rich, juicy, and succulent. The flesh emits a very strong smell, which could ideally dissuade a first-time eater from trying it. Despite possessing a very strong odor, it is known to have a fantastic effect on the taste buds. Unique in taste, this fruit is packed with assorted nutrients and hence, offers benefits that surely are noteworthy.
A single durian weighs nearly 602 grams and is a good source of energy. 100 grams of this fruit renders about 147 Kcal of energy, which is about 7% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA).The fruit does not contain any cholesterol, but is a great source of dietary fiber and protein. Let’s take a look at the benefits offered by the ‘King of Fruits’ before you start munching on it.
It contains vitamin C, folic acid, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, B6, and vitamin A. Important minerals such as potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, sodium, zinc, phosphorus are found in durian. It also contains nutrients such as phytonutrients, water, protein, and beneficial dietary fats. Durian is an exotic and controversial fruit in many parts of Southeast Asia, and is widely celebrated for its long list of health benefits, which include the ability to boost your immune system, prevent cancer and inhibit free radical activity, improve digestion, strengthen bones, reduce signs of anemia, cure insomnia, prevent premature aging, lower blood pressure, and protect against cardiovascular diseases.The other benefits of durian include its ability to help with diabetes management, reduce inflammation of the joints, help thyroid health, reduce headaches, and lower symptoms of depression, anxiety, and stress.
Durian is extensively grown in tropical regions, with countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, and the Philippines as major producers. The tree also grows in northern Australia, some South American countries, and Africa.
Here are the 10 best health benefits of Durian -
The King of the Fruits - Durian - photo courtesy of Chef Merv, 1st Pastry, Singapore
Durian Fruit Benefits For Health:
1. A good source of energy : 100 grams of this fruit satiates about 21% of the daily carbohydrate requirement. Being a rich source of carbohydrates, it is helpful in replenishing your energy levels
2. Acts as a natural anti-depressant :
Studies have proven that low levels of serotonin could actually trigger depression. Durian is naturally rich in Vitamin B6 which is essential for the production of serotonin. Hence, the intake of durian is advised to boost serotonin levels and thus, tide over depression
3. For healthy bones and teeth : The presence of calcium, potassium and B vitamins in significant amounts makes this fruit beneficial for maintaining healthy teeth and bones.
4. Aids in delaying aging : Vitamin C is found in abundance in this fruit. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps to keep the oxidative stress prompted by free radicals at bay. The lower the oxidative stress levels, the slower the aging process.
5. For a healthy digestive system :
The presence of dietary fiber in durian helps in easing bowel movement. This in turn keeps away constipation and improves the power of digestion. The presence of thiamin and niacin improves appetite as well as digestive power, thus ensuring that your digestive system stays healthy.
6. Maintaining blood sugar levels : The presence of manganese in desired levels aids in the regulation and maintenance of blood sugar levels Hence, it can be relished by diabetics without any fear.
7. Maintaining blood pressure levels : Durian is a good source of potassium which is required to keep the sodium levels of the human body intact. Regular intake of this fruit can thus ward off hypertension and associated medical conditions
8. Beneficial for Anaemic patients :
Folate, if not present in adequate quantities, could lower the amount of red blood cells produced. This in turn can trigger anaemia. Durian is a good source of folate along with copper and iron. Hence, anaemic patients can tap the power of this fruit to overcome the health condition.
9. Helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases : The presence of organo sulfur helps it to regulate the inflammatory enzymes. Hence, it has the potential to keep cardiovascular diseases away.
10. For a better libido : Durian is known to enhance libido. Thus, it helps in revitalizing your sexual life.
Create your Durian Latte, Durian Smoothies and Durian Frappe with our intense Durian Powder. Enjoy!
(Available from 8th August 2018 online)
Roselle Ice Tea with lime & mint
Aussies love Durian!
The information contained on this site is intended for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice, diagnosis or treatment by a licensed physician. It is not meant to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, circumstances or adverse effects. You should seek prompt medical care for any health issues and consult your doctor before using alternative medicine or making a change to your regimen.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food Safety Standards, Australia. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Durian Fruit USDA Nutrition Chart:[Nutrition value per 100 - see link below - g]https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-durian-fruit/#gref
- Durian Myth- https://www.healthxchange.sg/food-nutrition/food-tips/durian-myths-facts-king-fruits