These Goldfish & Koi Jellycake are just too beautiful to eat but eat you must, have them this Valentines & Lunar New Year
Food symbolism during Chinese New Year Celebrations - Chinese like playing with words and symbols. Often homonyms (words that share the same pronunciation but have different meanings) are gladly used. Names of dishes and/or their ingredients which will be served sound similar to words and phrases referring to wishes expressed during the Chinese New Year, while other foods hold a symbolic meaning.
In Chinese, "fish" (鱼 Yú /yoo/) sounds like 'surplus'. Fish is a traditional Chinese New Year dish. Chinese people always like to have a surplus at the end of the year, because they think if they have managed to save something at the end of the year, then they can make more in the next year.
Steamed fish is one of the most famous Chinese New Year recipes. What fish should be chosen for the New Year dinner is based on auspicious homophonics. But instead of having Steamed Fish - why not have these beautiful Abundance Goldfish 3D-Jellycake or a Koi Pond Jellycake this Lunar New Year. Here's how you make the base. The rest you would need to contact Karen to learn the technique to make these beauties.
- PANDAN COCONUT CREAM JELLY –
by – 3D-Jellycake Artisan, Karen Leong
Makes 24 x 2“ and 16 x 1”
(This is the base for the above jelly and you have options to change the flavours to Durian, Purple Sweet Potato, Roselle, Butterfly Pea and even Kaffir Lime Leaf Powder. For the Goldfish and flowers it’s an art and you need to take lessons from Karen, the Jellycake artist. Watch out for her announcements).
* 9 grams Jelly or Agar-agar powder
* 400 ml AYAM - Coconut Cream
* 500 ml water (add more if you wish to have a softer jelly)
* Sugar to taste (on average its usually about 1 cup)
* 1 teaspoon of MY BLUE TEA – Pandan Powder
Abundance Goldfish 3-D Jellycake for your Lunar New Year.
* Pour all dry ingredients into a pot of 500ml of water
* Stir till all mixed well using a whisk
* Turn on the fire, bring to boil on high heat.
* When boil turn to low heat, simmer for a little while and make sure that sugar and jelly or agar-agar powder is fully melted/dissolved and cooked * Add Coconut cream, bring to a boil and turn off fire immediately * Please ensure both agar-agar and sugar is fully melted before turning off fire * Pour into mould of your choice * Place in a container and keep them refrigerated at least a couple of hours or overnight * Remove from mould and serve with your choise of Palm Pandan Coconut sauce * Optional – garnish with fruits or pandan leaves
A Koi Pond
You may substitute coconut milk with coconut water; stir in some Roselle Powder, basil seeds and have it cold.
About Karen, JellyRus
Karen began creating 3-D jelly cake for her children who have severe and life threatening allergies and requested to create the nicest nuts free cake for them to celebrate their special day. She fell in loves with the creation of this cake and had lots of fun making them even though sometime it took her up till 8 hours to make them. The seaweed jelly cake is created via upside down method, using a syringe and some special tools by injecting the jelly onto the jelly clear canvas. The petals are crafted petal by petal to form the flowers / floral art and the 3rd and 4th layers of the jelly base are then cook to complete the whole cake before leaving them in the fridge for couple of hours before turning over to see the actual result of the final cake.
Karen has also included all natural flavour and colours in here 3-D Jellycake creations which makes it a healthier version and we believe she is the only one who uses natural colours rather than artificial colours which is not just cancer causing but causes allergies too. And if you would like to learn you can join her class on 24th February 2019 or find out from her and connect here below :-
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/jelly.r.us/
You can read more and admire Karen's creation, her article on Bored Panda -
Karen's favourite is MY BLUE TEA's Pandan Powder - and Pandan and Coconut Milk are match made in heaven. They're yum!
3 different varieties of 3-D Jellycake by Karen using Pandan, Durian, Blue Butterfly Pea and Purple Sweet Potato powder. They are all yum and natural
Have the Jellycake with a cup of warm Blue Tea -