Updated: May 15, 2020
Gone berserk for Durian Lovers!
Durian, the King of Fruits
My Blue Tea celebrates Mothers all over the world.
When we first published or shared these photos on our Facebook Page - there was an influx of requests for us to share recipes. It's Winter - we need Durian - it's a "heaty fruit" - the yin-yang thingy and we have Cathering Cang in Melbourne to thank for her beautiful Durian & Pandan Crepe. The secret is in her words "@my.blue.teas' Superfood Powder is so versatile and it can be added into just about anything you can think of that requires natural colour and flavours".
And unless you are a durian purist who only believes in eating durian in its natural form and abhors any confectionery made with durian, you’ll love this natural organic durian crepe and we have or rather Catherine has added a twist with "Pandan Crepe with Durian filling" These golden pillows used to be such a rarity that I remember my first time eating them was at a hotel that charged RM8++ each. That was 20 years ago. Since then, durian crepes have become more readily available and affordable. However, the recent renewed interest in durian crepes especially those filled with speciality durian varieties, particularly musang king durian, has hiked up the price again. Here's a recipe we thought might like to make for mum and who do not like Caramel :-
DURIAN CREPE BATTER / PANDAN CREPE BATTER • 8 tbsp all-purpose flour • 4 tbsp tapioca flour • 2 tbsp cornstarch • 2 tbsp custard powder • 2 tbsp castor sugar • 2 whole eggs • 80 ml whole milk • 300 ml cold water • 2 tsp cooking oil • 2 tsp vanilla essence • 1 tsp @my.blue.tea Durian Powder
(for Pandan Crepe use @my.blue.tea. Pandan Powder) • oil for frying
CUSTARD FILLING : • 200 ml whole milk • 3 tbsp custard powder • 1 tbsp castor sugar • 100g durian pulp • 1 tsp @my.blue.tea Durian Powder • 100ml non-dairy whipping cream
1. Sift together all-purpose flour, tapioca flour, cornstarch and custard powder into mixing bowl. Add sugar, eggs, milk, water, oil, vanilla and saffron tincture and whisk until smooth. Sieve through strainer to remove any lumps, and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
2. Combine milk, custard powder and sugar in a saucepan and heat to a light simmer. Stir in durian pulp, Durian Powder and chill custard for 30 minutes.
3. Whisk non-dairy whipping cream to stiff peaks. Fill into piping bag and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Brush a little oil on a non-stick pan heated on low to medium. Ladle crepe batter in an even layer and fry on one side until cooked. Remove from pan when batter has dried out. Repeat until batter is finished.
5. To assemble durian crepes, lay out crepe on a flat surface. Pipe in a layer of whipped cream, spoon on a layer of durian custard, and pipe over another layer of whipped cream. Fold crepe over into a square pillow. Chilled until ready to serve with a light dusting of icing sugar.
The best Mother's Day Gift comes from the goodness of this special Blue Tea Pack. This pack contains 50g of Blue Tea where you select either a Goodnight tea, Inspiration tea or Myrtle tea plus a Toblerone chocolate bar and greeting card.
Choose from any of the 4 flavours available.
Just Blue Tea, Blue Myrtle, Blue Inspiration and Goodnight Sweet Dreamzz Blue Tea
We wish to thank Catherine who has been sharing a lot of recipes and beautiful photos of her creations. In her words, she loves baking and not good a cook. She's specialist psychologist day time and bake during her weekend. And if you would like to be featured here, do get in contact with us or email - email@example.com
For those are not familiar with non-dairy whipping cream, it is usually not available at a supermarket. You would have to get them from a bakery supply shop in the frozen section. If you are unable to get the non-dairy product, you may substitute with whipping cream instead. Remember to add two tablespoons of icing sugar to cream while whisking. The non-dairy whipping cream is already sweetened.
Recipe was adapted from
OR you can watch this youtube :-