How to make Purple Sweet Potato Macarons?
This Christmas we're giving you the Purple Sweet Potato French Macaron - a delectable sweet meringue-based confection made with egg white, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond powder or ground almond, and of course the all natural purple sweet potato powder/colour. For a variation in colour and taste you may substitute Purple Sweet Potato Powder with one of the other Superfood Powders ie Pandan Macaron or Blue Butterfly Pea Macaron, its Bluuuue and Durian Macaron is so yummy! All these yummy macarons are created and contributed by Patisserie Chef, Catherine Teo in Melbourne. Catherine loves Purple Sweet Potato powder, its flavour and beautiful colour. Happy baking!
This is our last recipe for the year and we have lined up lots of exciting recipes for 2019 and cooking videos; working with Celebrity Chefs, Vegan Chefs, passionate homecooks, caterers and foodies. Do share our recipes and also encourage subscribers to have this healthy natural colours and flavours not synthetic based.
#1 – Artificial food colouring is linked with hyperactivity, allergic reactions, and tumour growth. Because of these measures, many European manufacturers are opting for more natural dyes over the chemical dyes, but here in the U.S. manufacturers are still dumping toxic colourings into processed food.
#2-Artificial flavouring is known to cause many problems including: nervous system depression, dizziness,chest pain, headaches, fatigue, allergies, brain damage, seizures, nausea, and much more. Some of the popular flavourings can also cause genetic defects, tumours, bladder cancer, and many other types of cancers.
Back to our Purple Sweet Potato Macarons and what do you need?
* 2 x Egg whites * 55 grams - fine sugar * 9 grams - MY BLUE TEA - Purple Sweet Potato Powder * 85 grams - Almond meal * 85 grams - 100% pure icing sugar
INGREDIENTS (PURPLE SWEET POTATO CREAM CHEESE FILLING)
* 12 grams - MY BLUE TEA - Purple Sweet Potato Powder
* 125 grams - Cream cheese (soften)
* 10 grams - Butter Icing
* 55 grams - Sugar
Such beautiful colour, Purple Sweet Potato Macarons
* Sieve almond meal, icing sugar and sweet potato powder twice.
* Use mixer to break up egg whites till frothy. Add half of the sugar and beat ( medium speed) till sugar dissolved. Add in another half of sugar and beat till stiff peak ( a small hook shape meringue)
* Fold both meringue and dry ingredients gently and spread the mixture to the side of the mixing bowl to help to deflate any air bubbles.. Continue to do the fold and spread method until the mixture becomes shiny and flows slowly like a lava stage. Stop at this point.
* Transfer the mixture into a piping bag with a 1/2inch nozzle.
* Pipe down the meringue into round shape (1.5cm size) onto baking paper.
* Lightly tap the tray on the bench top to remove excess air bubbles. Use tooth pick to prick the bubbles if present on the surface.
* Leave it to dry for about 30 min or when it is not tacky to the touch.
* Preheat oven (fan forced) 160 degree and bake at centre rack for 10 min or until the feet formed.
* Turn down to 130 degree and bake for another 6 min.
## Do check macarons every 2 mins after the shell have formed.
This is to prevent the macarons getting burnt.
## Cooked macarons , should be firm to the touch.
## Shells should be hard to touch and not stick to the baking paper after cooling down.
Purple Sweet Potato Macarons
* Mix all ingredients together till incorporated
* Add more icing sugar if a sweeter taste preferred.
* Transfer into piping bag.
* Pair macarons of equal sizes.
* Pipe the filling at the centre of macaron and sandwhich with another shell together.
Tri-colour Macarons with Blue Butterfly Pea Powder, Pandan Powder
and Purple Sweet Potato Powder
* Store in the air tight container or bag to retain the freshness..
* Assembled Macarons are best to be consumed a day after.
* Store the un assembled shells in an air tight container and freeze up to a month.
* To assemble a few days later, take macarons from freezer and leave shells in the containerand let thaw at room temperature for 30 min before assembling.
So green, so fragrant and yum! PANDAN Macaron
Blue Herbal Tea - our best seller with lemongrass, ginger and with Pandan, of course
We wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and be safe this holiday from all of us at MY BLUE TEA!