Updated: Sep 10
Why Eat and Drink Roselle Tea?
Roselle, Hibiscus sabdariffa L, has a long tradition of use as a health-supporting drink and food ingredient, and is well known and widely used around the planet. We start with the high quality Hibiscus sabdariffa that grows and is processed fresh at our doorstep. Roselle is not a fruit or a flower. The edible parts used to make the juice or tea are the “calyces,” the red fleshy sepals that cover and enclose the flower’s seed pods.
Roselle is a good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Consuming 100 grams of raw roselle offers 215 mg of Calcium, 1.48 mg of Iron, 12 mg of Vitamin C, 51 mg of Magnesium, 6.0 g of Carbohydrate, 37 mg of Phosphorus, 208 mg of Potassium, as well as Vitamin A, Vitamin's B1, B2 and B3. The flowers are a rich source of anthocyanin (antioxidants) and protocatechuic acid (“PCA”). Let’s look not only at what roselle provides, but just as important, what it lacks. Nutritional facts disclose very low levels of fat, sugar, sodium and carbs.
PCA in roselle has a three major functions that effect the human body. It has been shown to be Anti-Bacterial,Antioxidant / Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-tumorous. The natural functions that roselle has, besides PCA , makes it a power house of longevity foods in the world. It has use in helping with weight management, blood pressure, diabetes, skin care, Imunity, sex drive and so much more that can be found in the brief in the link below.
PCA has been shown to treat malignant bacterial effected cells taken from human oral cavities. In another study the anti-bacterial effects of PCA derived from roselle effectively inhibited the growth of bacteria in humans and it was concluded that PCA specifically from roselle may be useful in clinical infection prevention and therapy.
Antioxidant / Anti-Inflammatory: PCA is a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in general and specifically associated with liver protection. Higher concentration in the color of the red flavonoid pigments in the anthocyanins was shown to have a direct relationship to the antioxidant effects. Under less ideal processing temperatures and storage conditions the anthocyanin content declines. This validates the strong advantage achieved by our company’s proprietary Cellular Fraction-Line Technology.
This process is a key factor in delivering high quality premium freeze dried roselle powder.
Roselle Tea or add Red Roselle Powder into any juice (or use store bought lemonade)
Anti-tumor: PCA was found to increase proliferation and inhibit apoptosis of neural stem cells and was found to induce cell death of human leukemia cells. In a laboratory model using HL-60 leukemia cells, PCA was shown to prevent damage to genetic information that could potentially lead to cancer, help destroy existing tumors and PCA was found to inhibit the growth of lung cancer cells . PCA contained in Hibiscus sabdariffa may induce cell death (apoptosis) in human leukemia cells and induce apoptosis in human gastric carcinoma cells to help fight stomach cancer.
§ With our Red Roselle powder we have eliminated the water which is approximately 85% of the total weight. It is, thereby, naturally concentrated six to seven times. Roselle tea is a mild infusion. You drink the mild infusion and throw the flower (calyse) away. In the case of our roselle powder you are actually drinking the entire calyse. All benefits, nutritional and otherwise are highly concentrated.
§ Hibiscus is used as an offering to the Goddess Kali and Lord Ganesha in Hindu worship. The red hibiscus flower is said to incite passion and attract love. Hawaiian women wear a single hibiscus behind the right ear to indicate availability. Egyptian women have been banned from drinking roselle tea because it is said to act as an aphrodisiac and induce lust. Hibiscus is used in incense mixtures to assist divination and clairvoyance and when the pedals are floated on water in a wooden bowl the result is sacred and used to attract good Spirits.
§ The high vitamin C content in roselle can be an adjunctive therapy when combined with conventional treatments. Among the long list of benefits of Vitamin C, it may help to boost immunity and improve blood flow.
§ Roselle may help your body to break down your food and decrease absorption of carbohydrates. Roselle has been shown to decrease the synthesis of amylase, an enzyme that speeds up the chemical breakdown of starch into sugars. In addition it boosts your metabolism allowing you to burn more calories faster .
§ Antioxidant rich roselle can help to keep your skin looking youthful. Hibiscus sabdariffa is a natural source of alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) used in anti-aging products. In addition, the muscle tightening effect Hibiscus sabdariffa helps smooth fine lines and wrin- kles naturally while it strengthens skin cells.
§ Potassium helps to control electrical activity of muscles including the heart and regulation of our body fluids (including water balance). Health benefits include relief from high blood pressure, stoke and other heart disorders as well as regulation of blood sugar levels. Potassium supports kidney functions, and helps to relieve anxiety and stress. It also enhances muscle strength, brain function and supports the nervous system.
Blue Butterfly Pea Powder - health benefits is on the website - WWW.MYBLUETEA.COM.AU
Blue Herbal Teabags
The information and recommendations provided on this website have not been evaluated by the Food Safety Standards, Australia and is provided for educational purposes only.
(1) USDA Nutritional Database (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/ list
(2) Kandeal.FR, Koussa KT, Swerdloff KS, “Male Sexual Function and its disorders: physiology, patho-physiology, clinical investigation and treatment.” Endocr Rev. 2001 Jun;22(3):342-88.
(3) He FJ, McGregor GA, “Beneficial effects of potassium on human health” Physiol Plant. 2008, Aug, 122(4) 725-735. (4) Babich H, Sedletcaia A, Kenigsberg B (November 2002). "In vitro cytotoxicity of protocatechuic acid to cultured human cells from oral tissue: involvement in oxidative stress". Pharmacol. Toxicol. 91
(4): 245– 253. doi:10.1034/j.1600-0773.2002.910505.x. PMID 12570031
(5) Liu DS, Tso SM, Yin MC, “Ub vitro antibacterial activity of roselle calyx and protocatechuic acid.” Phytother Res. 2005 Nov;19(11):942-
(6) Zhen, Jing et al. “Phytochemistry, antioxidant capacity, total phenolic content and anti-inflammatory activity of Hibiscus sabdariffa leaves.” Food Chemistry 190 (2016): 673-680
(7) Tsai PJ, McIntosh J, Pearce P, Camden B. Jordan BR “Anthocyanin and antioxidant capacity in Roselle (Hibisucs Sabdariffa L.) extract” Food Research International Vol 35, Issue 4, 2002: 352-356
(8) Guan S, Ge D, Liu TQ, Ma XH, Cui ZF (March 2009). "Protocatechuic acid promotes cell proliferation and reduces basal apoptosis in cultured neural stem cells". Toxicology in Vitro. 23 (2): 201– 208. doi:10.1016/j.tiv.2008.11.008. PMID 19095056
(9) Anter J, Romero-Jiménez M, Fernández-Bedmar Z, Villatoro-Pulido M, Analla M, Alonso-Moraga A, Muñoz-Serrano A.,"Antigenotoxicity, cytotoxicity, and apoptosis induction by apigenin, bisabolol, and protocatechuic acid." J Med Food. 2011 Mar;14(3):276-83
(10). Tsao S, Te-chun H, Yin M “Protocatechuic acid inhibits lung cancer cells by modulating FAK, MAPK, and NF-κB pathways.” Nutrition and Cancer 2014-01-01
(11) Tseng, TM, Kao TW, Chu CY, Lin WL, Wand CJ. “Induction of apoptotis by hibiscus protocatechuic acid in human leukemia cells via reduction of retinoblastomia (RB) phosphorylation and Bci-2 expression” Biochem Pharmacol. 200 Aug 1:60(3): 307-315
(12) Lin HH, Huang HP, Huang CC, Chen JH, Wang CJ. “Hibiscus polyphenol-rich extract induces apoptosis in human gastric carcinoma cells via p53 phospholiration and p38 MARK/Facl-cascade pathway” Biochem Pharmacol. 200 Aug 1:60(3): 307-315
(13) Adedayo O. Ademiluyi and Ganiyu Oboh “ Aqueous Exracts of Roselle (Hibiscus sabdarifa Linn.) Varietes Inhibit α-Amylase and α- Glucosidase Activities In Vitro” Journal of Medicinal Food. January 2013, 16(1): 88-93. doi:10.1089/jmf.2012.0004.
(14). Alarcon-Aguilar et al. “Effects of Hibiscus sabdriffa on obesity in MSG mice” Journal of Ethnopharmacology 114 (2007): 66-71
(15) Hopkins A. Lamm M. Funk J. Ritenbaugh C. “Hibiscus sabdariffa L. in the treatment of hypertension and hyper-lipidemia: a comprehensive review of animal and human studies.” Fitotherapia Mar. 2013 85: 84-94.
(16) Serban C, Sahebkar A, Ursoniu S, Andrica F, Banach M. “Effect of sour tea (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) on arterial hypertension: a systemic review and meta-analysis of randomized contro. Trials.” Hypertens. 2015 Jun. 33(6)L 1119-27
(17) Mozaffari-Khosravi NJ, Effects of sour tea (Hibisucs sabdariffa) on lipid profile and lipoproteins in patients with type II diabetes” Altern Complement. Med. 2009 Aug:15(8)899-903
(18) Rival D, Bonnet S, Shom B, Perrier E. “A Hibiscus Abelmoschus seed extract as a protective active ingredient to favour FGF-2 activity in skin.” BASF Beauty Care Solutions-France SAS, 69007 Lyon, France
Disclaimer: The recommendation and material on this page represent research conducted by various medical practitioners, research papers and manufacturer's opinion only. The information and material provided on this site are for educational purposes only and any recommendations are not intended to replace the advice of your physician. You are advised to seek advice from a competent medical professional regarding the applicability of any recommendations with regard to your symptoms or condition. It is important that you do not reduce, change or discontinue any medication or treatment without consulting your physician first. The personal stories shared on this website are personal to the users and may not be typical of the results you will pr may have if you follow the advice provided on this site.
Consult with your doctor about all prescription and non-prescription medicines you take before you begin to use any herbal products and partner with your professional health care practitioner on determining your own health destiny.
If you are a pregnant, considering pregnancy or are a nursing mother you should consult your physician prior to using any health supplement product.