PURPLE RAIN with Butterfly Pea, Pineapple with Sage & Mint
PURPLE RAIN or Blue Butterfly Pineapple Tea - It will be too hot and humid in the Summer to think about drinking hot tea. With many places hitting >30 degrees in early Spring and everywhere needing some rain badly, it is looking to be a very HOT Summer. So today’s recipe is a quick and cooling Blue Butterfly Pineapple Iced Tea perfect for your Spring and Summer entertainment.
While we are trying to grow pineapples in our garden we fear the kangaroos might chew on them before they mature. We love those juicy sun ripened pineapple's and not just because they taste good, they help with digestion, boost immunity, lower inflammation and relieve pain. Researchers have even found that pineapple can kill off certain cancer cells and even slow the spread of some cancers. So based on bought pineapple;
PURPLE RAIN with PINEAPPLE, MINT & SAGE
(1) 1 fresh pineapple - cut to small pieces
(2) Add only 20 dried petals of Blue Butterfly Pea flower
(3) Add the pineapples and dried petals to 3 litres (or more depending on the size of the pineapple)
and bring to boil - say 30 minutes
(4) Add sweetener ie sugar, honey, stevia or maybe none
(5) Remove from fire - the colour of this beautiful drink is Purple.
(6) Throw in some Sage - let it cool
(7) When its cool - add more Sage and some mint
(8) Refrigerate - and serve with cold or crushed iced.
(9) Garnish with mint leaves or other ingredients/herbs to your taste
So here it is how to make fresh Blue Butterfly Pineapple Iced Tea or otherwise Purple Rain:
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Blue Butterfly Powder (to your desired colour) * 1 teaspoon sugar * 4 cups boiling water, 4 cups ice water to make a tepid mixture * 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice. * Some sage leaves - steep in hot water for mixing into the pineapple juice (see below) * Some mint leaves to garnish * 1 1/3 cup fresh pineapple juice (see below).
(To make fresh pineapple juice, core the fruit and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add to your blender and blend until smooth. Strain into a large jar using a fine mesh strainer.)
In a large jug pour in the tepid water and then add blue butterfly powder and stir.
Cool slightly then stir in pineapple juice (note the colour will change). Also check the sweetness and if required add some rice sugar or honey to desired sweetness. Refrigerate overnight. Serve over ice. Enjoy.
(1) You may also cut the pineapples into cube and boil them till soft; throw in the sage leaves and add sugar to taste and let it cool. Once cool, stir in your desired amount of Blue Butterfly Powder and garnish with mint leaves.
(2) Pineapple is a little acidic so it will change the colour of the Juice to beautiful purple instantly.
My wife was too excited with the Blue Butterfly Powder and added more than required hence it turned purple before it gets to be Blue!
Photo courtesy of Gerald & Josie