How to make a Christmas Blue Yule Log Cake ?
Christmas won't be Christmas without a Log Cake especially if its Bluúùuüuûuuéè.....
A beautifully and festive cake, the chocolate Yule Log is not too hard to make and a "Yule Log" (or bûche de Noël French pronunciation: [byʃ də nɔɛl]) is a traditional dessert served near Christmas, especially in Belgium, France, Lebanon, Switzerland, Quebec, and several former French colonies. Made of sponge cake to resemble a miniature actual Yule log, it is a form of sweet roulade.
However, this rich and just the right creamy blend Yule log is not for the faint-hearted - it's simply gorgeous, one of a kind, instead of triple-chocolate Christmas treat. And it's as easy as making a Swiss roll; we use Butterfly Pea Powder to give the light healthy all natural plant based blue colour for the log cake and in the cream coating.
BLUE BUTTERFLY LOG CAKE -
* 3 eggs yolk (large) * 3 eggs white * Castor sugar 50 gm * Plain flour 45 gm with pinch of salt * Canola oil 30gm * Hot water + 3 tsps Blue Butterfly Pea Powder = 40gm (mixed well) * Corn flour 1/4 tsp * Desiccated coconut for garnishing as snow flakes
Blue Log Cake by Patiserrie Chef Catherine
Here’s the recipe :-
* 1/3 cup (65g) pearl barley * ½ - 1 teaspoon Blue Butterfly Powder (or to your desired colour) * Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons * 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar or honey
(Preheat oven, fan forced 170 degree)
(1) Mix the egg yolk with a table spoon of sugar (from the cake ingredients above) for about a minute .
(2) Add in oil and mix till well incorporated. Add in Blue Butterfly Pea water and mix well.
(3) Sieve the flour and mix into the yolk mixture gently till no flour seen.
(4) Use, hand mixer with medium speed to break up the egg white till frothy,
add in the corn flour and remaining sugar and beat till soft peak stage.
(5) Fold 1/3 of meringue into yolk mixture and mix gently .
(6) Fold in the balance and mix till no meringue seen.
(7) Pour the batter from 30cm high onto the baking tray. Level the batter and tap the tray at least 3 times on the bench before baking.
(8) Place it in the centre rack and bake for 20 min.
(9) Remove cake from the oven and remove from the tray onto a wire rack to cool down till luke warm temperatures.
(10) Start to whip fresh cream while waiting for cake to cool down further.
(11) Pour all the ingredients into a deep bowl and use medium speed hand mixer to beat till stiff peak..( do not over beat, stop and check when you can feel the resistance while beating)
(12) Remove cake from the baking paper and place onto a new clean baking paper.
(13) Make a few slits on the surface of the cake (the top surface of the cake after baked)
(14) Spread a thin layer of cream and roll tightly with rolling pin. .
(15) Wrapped and leave it in the fridge for 30 min before assembling
Look at the colour! Lovely.......
Assemble Cake -
* Cut the both edges away.
* Cut 2/3 of the cake to make into a log. * Use the cream to stick both log cake together (to your own desired designs of the log & cake shape/size) * Ice the whole log cake except the both sides * Use a fork to make a log design.. * Garnish with desiccated coconut or dusk. With icing sugar to achieve the snow effect.
Blue Yule Log Cake for Christmas! Dare to be Different
Butterfly Pea Tea - yum
Blue Snowflake Cupcakes - here's the recipe - Blue Snow Mountain
Chef Catherine is now the Official Resident Chef at My Blue Tea having contributed so many recipes and have played with all the Superfood Powders that we carry. She's really good with them too. Her neighbours are the happiest; they get to try every cake she made. We love her dearly.
Are you not proud of her creations and ideas.? Who would have come up with this Blue Log Christmas Cake idea? Only Catherine the Great!
Merry Christmas everyone & Happy Baking!