In this blog you will learn about Jackfruit, its health benefits and what you can do with it (recipes)
What is Jackfruit (Cempedak)
A Cempedak is a fruit found predominantly in Malaysia and Thailand. This fruit comes from the Artocarpus integer tree. The term 'Artocarpus' is derived from two Greek words, Artos, meaning bread, and Karpus, meaning fruit. These trees grow up to 49 ft (15 m) tall, and are found in low-lying rain forests. The leaves of the tree are a dull green and have brown hair on them. When it is young, the Cempedak tree has smooth bark that grows rough as it ages.
The Cempedak fruit is yellow, brown, or green in colour, and contains between 100 and 500 seeds. The fruit is barrel or pear-shaped, while the seeds are shaped like kidneys. These seeds are surrounded by a soft yellow flesh which can be eaten cooked or uncooked. You can simply boil or roast the seeds which has a nutty taste and texture. The flesh has a sweet taste and strong fragrance, and is the most often used part of the fruit. This part is also used for making jams and cakes, and can be salted to make fruit jerky. Whole fruits are also cooked and eaten. In Malaysia, the tree is grown commercially for food production purposes.
Cempedak is also called the ugly cousin of another Jackfruit range called the Nangka. The bark from the tree is used in the production of the yellow dye. This plant grows well in the tropical region. The trees are found only in areas that have no dry season. The trees need a maximum amount of water to grow. This fruit contains Ascorbic acid, enzymes, bioflavonoid and also rich in minerals and vitamins. Other than the minerals and vitamins it also consists of water content of up to 67 grams per 100g.
Cempedak or Jackfruit in English
Cempedak trees are evergreen with a height of up to several meters. The Cempedak fruit is somewhat smaller in size than the Nangka fruit and contains soft juicy and sweet flesh covering large seeds. Ripe Cempedak is yellow in colour and is sweeter than the Nangka. Its flavour is musky, aromatic and savoury that resembles durian and mango. It has many medicinal benefits owing to its high nutritional profile. It has a good amount of ascorbic acid, enzymes, bioflavonoid, minerals and vitamins. Cempedak is a little more pungent than the Nangka and is known as the little sister of Durian, the King of Fruits
My Blue Tea Jackfruit Cempedak Powder
Our Jackfruit Powder is made using CEMPEDAK and it is available in 1 kg packs.
Health Benefits of Jackfruit Cempedak
• Heart health: Antioxidants, dietary fibre and vitamin C present in Cempedak help in maintaining heart health. High potassium content helps in lowering blood pressure. It decreases cholesterol levels and reduces hypertension that makes the cardiac system healthier.
• Urinary tract infection: Attributing to its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties Cempedak helps in fighting urinary tract infections.
• Eye health: Cempedak is rich in Vitamin A that helps in maintaining good eye health and keeps the cornea healthy.
• Controls obesity: High dietary fibre content helps in controlling obesity and maintains overall health. Low calorie and fat content helps in weight loss also.
• Digestive health: High fibre, mineral and vitamin content maintain the digestive health. Also researches have proved Artocarpus xanthone to be gastroprotective, helping in cure of digestive tract ulcers.
• Prevent tumours and cancers: Artioindonesianidin, a compound present in its bark and fruit, may have potential to prevent tumour growth. Research is ongoing to explore its other therapeutic benefits.
• Malaria treatment: Several compounds like artioindonesianidin and heteriflavon C present in the bark and fruit of Cempedak help in prevention and treatment of malaria. It can eliminate the malarial parasites to complete extent.
• Other benefits: It has been found that Cempedak seeds can be ground into flour and used as an alternative to bread flour. It has more dietary fibre content, more nutrients and lower glycemic index as compared to other bread flours. Also, the decoction of Cempedak roots is used to cure fever, skin diseases, asthma and diarrhoea. The antioxidant nature slows the degeneration of cells and thus keeps skin healthy. Cempedak has been found to show anti-arthritic properties too. It also helps in lowering anxiety and hypertension.
What can you do with My Blue Tea Jackfruit Cempedak Powder? Here are some recipe suggestions.
Jackfruit Latte, now available at TwoSis Pyrmont, Sydney
* Jackfruit Latte
* Jackfruit Smoothie
* Jackfruit Milkshake
* Jackfruit Chia Pudding
* Desserts - Jackfruit Cake, Jackfruit Raw Cheesecake
* Asian Snacks - Jackfruit Talam, Bingka Jackfruit
* Jackfruit Ice Cream
Jackfruit 3-D Jellycake - This 3-D Jellycake is made by our 3D-Jellycake Artisan, Karen Leong from Jelly R Us. If you wish to learn this art, do connect with Karen.
Jackfruit Chia Pudding
HOW ABOUT OUR FAMOUS BLUE TEA?
BREWING YOUR BLUE TEA
What Blue Tea to brew?
You have a choice of 6 or more to choose from in the future, including "Blue Spiced Turmeric and Blue Goddess", which we will be launching at the Sydney Tea Festival in August 2019. If you're in Sydney drop by to our booth for your free tasting.
https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/health-benefits-of-cempedak.htm https://www.fruitsinfo.com/Cempedak-tropical-fruits.php https://infocultures.blogspot.com/2017/05/cempedak-benefits-and-information.html http://healthlifearticle.blogspot.com/2010/07/benefit-of-cempedak-jack-fruit.html